Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Expect the unexpected

I had every intention to really step up my blogging game during the month of August. However, due to such an insane month, I had no time to visit my blog.

Let's get personal

In early July, I started having some severe pain...like period cramps, only nowhere near that time and a billion times worse. It was so bad I had to leave work early and go to the ER. Upon examination, the ER doctor said it looks and sounds like I might have endometriosis.

Endometriosis is a painful, chronic disease that affects at least 6.3 million women and girls in the U.S. It occurs when tissue like that which lines the uterus is found outside the uterus -- usually in the abdomen on the ovaries, fallopian tubes, and ligaments that support the uterus.This misplaced tissue develops into growths or lesions which respond to the menstrual cycle in the same way that the tissue of the uterine lining does: each month the tissue builds up, breaks down, and sheds. Menstrual blood flows from the uterus and out of the body through the vagina, but the blood and tissue shed from endometrial growths has no way of leaving the body. This results in internal bleeding, breakdown of the blood and tissue from the lesions, and inflammation -- and can cause pain, infertility, scar tissue formation, adhesions, and bowel problems.

So...I guess you could say that was some pretty scary news. However, since the diagnosis needed conformation from my OB, I tried not to stress until that appointment. I wasn't able to be seen by my OB for two weeks which is bad for me as I am a hypochondriac and a big time Googler of symptoms. Trying not to stress really didn't work for me. With google, everything did start making sense. Going a little bit further back to July 2011, 2 months after having my youngest son, I received the implanon birth control. I had NOTHING but problems with it. Due to that and wanting to have another child with my partner, we decided to remove it in July 2012. After two years of trying for baby #3, I was now facing the diagnosis of endometriosis, which as stated above can cause infertility. I was heartbroken.

To be continued.

No comments:

Post a Comment